Sep 14 2016

TennTech CS clubs

Published by at 9:46 am under class of 2020,student

Although I’ve lived for some time I can still experience so many new things living in Cookeville. Starting as a freshman at Tennessee Tech University has only increased the number of new people I’ve met and opportunities I can take apart in. While I had a busy life in high school, I’m amazed at how many different organizations and activities there are on campus. From talking to the representatives of many organizations during Welcome Week to attending informational meetings, I’ve found everyone to be open and welcoming. In fact, I may need to learn to say “no” quickly as it is easy to over commit.

Women of CyberEagles meeting.

Women of CyberEagles meeting.

In the Computer Science area there are two main organizations which I have found interesting: CyberEagles and ACM. The TennTech website for ACM states that the Tennessee Technological University Student Chapter of the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) exists to promote the exploration of computer technology. The chapter accomplishes this by conducting workshops, bringing guest speakers to campus, as well as providing social events for its members. The president is Daniel Tyler. Dr. Martha Kosa is the faculty contact for ACM. ACM has a subcommittee ACM-W. ACM-W is the ACM committee on Women in Computing. It celebrates, informs and supports women in computing, and works with the ACM-W community of computer scientists, educators, employers and policy makers to improve working and learning environments for women. The president of ACM-W is Katie Brown.

Daniel speaking at a CyberEagles meeting

CyberEagles started the year with a great presentation by Alex Levinson, Senior Engineer at Uber Technologies Inc. A brief overview of CyberEagles was given stating the purpose for the club. CyberEagles emphasizes the importance of computer security and their related fields by providing programs where attendees can learn about technology and security tools. The competition events allow students to gain a better understanding of cybersecurity and to socialize with other like-minded individuals. The President is Konstantin S Menako. As with ACM, there is also a CyberEagles Women group which is led by Amela Gjishti and Dr. Siraj is the faculty advisor.

Comments Off on TennTech CS clubs

Comments are closed at this time.