Nov 30 2016

Reflections of a Freshman during Dead Week

Published by at 6:22 pm under class of 2020,student

So it’s already the week before finals, “Dead Week”. Now I’m sitting here wondering how the heck did I get here and where did all that time go.  I haven’t had much a problem with any of my classes. I’ve enjoyed all of them thoroughly from gen-ed courses like English 1020 to CSC 1200. I’ve enjoyed doing the various group work assignments, projects, and presentations. For example, in CSC 1200 we have had a few group projects where we were assigned to created programs in SNAP! and App Inventor. I’ve enjoyed learning how to work on team projects and collaborating with my team mates. I’ve also enjoyed CSC 1200, in general, because I like Professor Ford’s teaching style and him as a person. The way he presents and examples he uses makes the material easy and enjoyable to learn/understand.

While taking my courses I’ve also managed to have a social life or active extracurricular life. I’ve learned a lot and enjoyed taking part in the various clubs at Tech. Specifically within the CSC department, I’ve attended meetings for AMC/W along with CyberEagles and CyberEagles Women. I appreciate the exposure they offer by giving information about and dealing with to the various areas of study within Computer Science. I also had a good time getting to know some of the students in these clubs. I was surprised by their friendliness and willingness to help me if I had a programing, math, or general CSC questions.

My experience as a first semester freshman student at Tech has gone a lot better than I originally thought it would. I personally have nothing to complain about with my experience here thus far. I’ve enjoyed all my classes. I don’t feel like any of my coursework is too insanely hard nor too easy. I’ve had the opportunity and time to take part in clubs and other Tech campus activities. I feel like I’ve made the most of my first semester, without completely overloading myself. The only thing I’d think about changing about my experience here would be myself. At times, it would have been more beneficial for me to have better time management skills along with memory and planning skills. I’m the type of person who inevitably ends up biting off more than they can chew, so I’ve had multiple times where I’ve stressed over conflicting events of interest. I plan on bettering these skills in the semester to come, now that I’ve started to grow accustom to the college life.

Comments Off on Reflections of a Freshman during Dead Week

Comments are closed at this time.