Jeremy W. Langston

Personal Website

SAWBOT? QUE?!

Having no money after buying tools and tooling, I’ve had plenty of time to plan out a robot platform.  There are several ideas rolling around in my head.  They range from independently-driven, independently-suspension-ed (?) 4WD drivetrains, to Ackerman-steering platforms with front, rear, and center differentials.  Yeah, overly complex, at least for now.  I’m instead going for a simple skid-steer drivetrain with no suspension other than the tires.  The left-side two wheels will be driven by one motor, as is the right side.  The difference in speeds causes the platform to turn.  I also want to be able to get this thing up to a pretty good speed so I can run around with it like an RC car:  ~20mph.  I can already see it busted on a wall.  It’s going to be great.

Now the question is where can I find motors?  Ideally the shaft speed of the motor would be the same as the wheel speed.  I found that to be impossible within a reasonable budget (<$50 ea).  Typically the motors you find on RC trucks run at about 4,000 kv.  For those that don’t know, a 4,000 kv motor runs at 4,000 rpm PER VOLT.  Don’t get me wrong.  A robot rolling down the road at 476mph would be cool.  Maybe later.  So, I’ll need to go with a gear reduction.  It turns out that it can get expensive.  Making a custom gearbox is an option.  However it takes some careful design work to ensure proper meshing.  I don’t think my master metalworking skills are quite up to that just yet.

I came across several people repurposing a cordless drill motor.  Now there’s an idea!  At Harbor Freight, you can get cheap Chinese junk like cordless drills.  The batteries are horrible and the clutch be worn out fast.  However, the motor and gearbox are pretty decent – and the output shaft speed is around 500 RPM, unloaded.  Not bad for $20.  I picked up a couple.

IMAG0178 IMAG0145 IMAG0183

Bringing back the drills, I torn one apart and looked to see how I would mount it.  The plastic housing and extended shaft would take up too much space in my robot. The plastic housing is part of the clutch assembly, as it allows the ring gear to spin if the clutch isn’t tightened all the way (the drill setting).  Also, proper mounting is non-trivial.  I came across another site showing a custom gearbox enclosure for a drill.  This is definitely the way to go as it gives you a better fit and mounting options.

Then I came across this:

It’s the Harbor Freight 18V 5-1/2″ Cordless Circular Saw, part # 67026, and was on sale for $25.  The no-load speed is 3800 RPM, uses a larger 750-sized motor, and has a mounting bracket already!  As far as I know, no one else has tried this.  That’s usually a bad sign, but it’s worth a shot.

Here are some pictures from the break-down process.

Random Youtube video of the motor?  Sure, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQaba3A2qI

12 Comments

1. Your article is great. I also often write such articles. I recently received important help. I found who https://theplagiarism.com/articles/effective-ways-of-detecting-plagiarism-for-teachers can check my paper for plagiarism. It helps me get the best result. I hope this information will be useful to you.

2. Hello colleagues, good piece of writing and nice urging commented here, I am really enjoying by these.

3. Here will be the best place where the interested aspirants will come to know the various coding languages which will allow them ultimately in learning these different languages and will be able to access the whole digital world.

4. What is a High Court Enforcement Officer? How can they help with High Court Judgments and Writs, County Court Judgment (CCJ), Employment Tribunal
    bailiffs

5. You provided an exceptional experience to everyone, and I am grateful for that
    You can read articles and blogs on this website.
    I have started a new business of jackets and have also added some sales item items. Check it out.
    Mens jacket Sale

6. Check out the best Munnar tourist places. If you are planning to visit Munnar, then these places should be on your itinerary.

7. ABC Chile Ingeniería es una empresa situada en Iquique y
    Santiago – Chile. ABC Chile se amplía con una sucursal
    en la ciudad de santa cruz de la sierra, empezando en el año 2021 con 14 empleados y su giro empresarial es la
    consultoría en mecánica de suelos, taludes, mecánica de rocas.

Somos un equipo de profesionales en el área de “Geotecnia” de altísima calidad enfocados en resolver sus necesidades
    de una manera eficaz

8. ABC Chile Ingeniería es una empresa ubicada en Iquique y Santiago – Chile.
    ABC Chile se amplía con una sucursal en la urbe de
    santa cruz de la sierra, empezando en el año dos mil veintiuno con 14 empleados
    y su giro empresarial es la asesoría en mecánica de suelos, taludes, mecánica de rocas.

Somos un equipo de profesionales en el área de “Geotecnia”
    de altísima calidad enfocados en resolver sus necesidades de una manera eficiente

9. ABC Chile Ingeniería es una compañía situada en Iquique y Santiago – Chile.

ABC Chile se amplía con una sucursal en la urbe de santa cruz de la sierra, empezando
    en el año 2021 con 14 empleados y su giro empresarial es la asesoría en mecánica de suelos, taludes, mecánica de rocas.

Somos un equipo de profesionales en el área de “Geotecnia” de muy alta calidad enfocados en resolver
    sus necesidades de una manera eficiente

10. Hello , lovers of cricket welcome to our fantasy cricket application means fantasypower11 which is provide you online cricket information
    any time to know all cricket match online ball to ball and over to over play cricket online.

11. nice blog, keep posting such blogs to keep us updated.

12. Thanks for sharing such an amazing post. It was really helpful. Keep sharing more content.